Frequently Asked Questions
- Help! I have no heat!
- How Does the Delivery Person Know When to Stop Fueling?
- How Do I reset my burner? Following the steps below may save you from a service call if you find yourself with no heat.
Has the burner control moved to reset, shutting itself off?
If so, press only once to reset.
* Important: If the burner turns on and then shuts off within two minutes, then call us here at Direct Fuel for service (978) 536-9955. DO NOT press the reset button again!
How do I read the float gauge on my oil tank?
You should locate the top of the float to see how full your tank is.
Check your oil tank? Is it empty?
Call us immediately at (978) 536-9955 if you find your tank is empty.
Is your emergency switch on?
Check to make sure the switch is in the ‘on’ position. Also check all fuses and circuit breakers to make sure they are turned on.
Is your thermostat set at the proper temperature? Is it set above the current room temperature?
If you have a digital thermostat, check to make sure the batteries are operating property or replace them…
Where is my reset button located?
The reset button is located on the control on the burner, and is normally on the right side of this control. Reset buttons are usually red.
How does the delivery person know when to stop filling the tank when delivering to my home?
Most delivery systems incorporate an alarm system, which whistles when the tank is filling up and then stops when the tank is full.
How often should I have my equipment serviced?
We recommend servicing your heating system on an annual basis to ensure that it’s running safely and efficiently.
Do you offer service plans?
Direct Fuel offers a variety of service plans, (see services and maintenance page) to address your particular home heating or commercial delivery needs.
When should I have my heating system tuned up?
We suggest tuning up your system between March 1 and October 1 to ensure that it will be ready to operate efficiently for the upcoming winter months.
What should the pressure on my boiler be?
We recommend that you keep your pressure at approximately 15 psi.
How much oil do I have in my tank?
¾ tank=206 gallons
½ tank=137 gallons
¼ tank=70 gallons
What does my annual heating system tune-up include?
Our Direct Fuel tune-ups include the following:
- Thorough brushing and vacuuming of the system and smoke pipe
- Replacement of the oil burner nozzle
- Replacement of the filter at the oil tank
- Inspection of the ignition system to the burner, adjustment of electrodes
- Visual inspection to ensure mechanics are in working order
- Oil motors and certain types of circulators
- Efficiency test of the system
- 15-point checklist to evaluate overall condition of system